Please note, this is a STATIC archive of website hashcat.net from 08 Oct 2020, cach3.com does not collect or store any user information, there is no "phishing" involved.

hashcat Forum

Full Version: Recover password file .7z partially known
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm a beginner, but I need to extract an old file (7-zip) that I protected 4 years ago...
I think to know partially the password.
Below, an example of the search I'd like to do.

Prefix (2 choice): tv4kg58 or rG8pfE5
Suffix : 4 or 5 alphanumeric characters

And perhaps $ at the beginning or at the end.

Thank you in advance
extract the hash with 7z2hashcat first and confirm it looks similar to that of the example hash found on the wiki.

Then build your script for hashcat. Just use a bruteforce attack in my opinion. 
./hashcat64  -1 ?l?u?d -a 3 -m 11600 -w 4 -i --increment-min 11 --increment-max 12 hashfile.txt yourprefix?1?1?1?1?1

this does not include the perhaps $ at the beginning or at the end portion

Here's a benchmark of 1070 for your knowledge of how fast you're gonna be working at this.

Code:
OpenCL Platform #3: NVIDIA Corporation
======================================
* Device #4: GeForce GTX 1070, 2048/8192 MB allocatable, 15MCU

Benchmark relevant options:
===========================
* --optimized-kernel-enable

Hashmode: 11600 - 7-Zip

Speed.Dev.#4.....:     5843 H/s (20.37ms)

Good luck.
(01-05-2018, 01:16 AM)slyexe Wrote: [ -> ]extract the hash with 7z2hashcat first and confirm it looks similar to that of the example hash found on the wiki.

It's a bad start, when I use 7z2hashcat (7z2hashcat64-1.2.exe), I have this message :

Code:
WARNING: the file blablabla.7z' unfortunately can't be used with hashcat since the data length in this particular case is too long (3086944 of the maximum allowed 327528 bytes).
That's a 3 MB file compressed (uncompressed maybe even much larger if not totally random data).
Are there several files within the .7z file ?
You could also try to increase the limit that hashcat accepts for 7-Zip hashes as mentioned a couple of times within this forum (but at your on risk, the hash will be very, very, very long... the memory consumption will also increase a lot over 3 MB and you would need to test it a lot if everything is working correctly with higher limits... but lzma1/lzma2 decompression to check the checksum shouldn't be a problem even with much larger files).
7-zip file contains 3 files (two .rar file and one .xls),
This is .xls file that I want to recover.

I'm going to look at how to increase the limite.
Thanks