Please note, this is a STATIC archive of website hashcat.net from 08 Oct 2020, cach3.com does not collect or store any user information, there is no "phishing" involved.

hashcat Forum

Full Version: Tips on cracking the 4-way handshake.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So for the last few days I have been trying to crack a pcap file. I have tried tons of wordlists with the largest being 80GB in size. Apart from using a mask that literally tries everything, what tips can be given if I know the password is likely a combination of upper and lowercase letters combined with some numbers in it.

Are there resources that provide tips on cracking passwords on specific routers? Are there other interesting resources that can be used to learn more? What are for examples recommended websites that would have for example cracking challenges in increasing difficulty?

I am a beginner who has recently got into cracking and would eventually want to try and start a little side-gig where I crack people's lost password for example ZIP-files (which I know has nothing to do with the WPA-hash but wi-fi is fun to practice).

Another question I got is when do you actually use -m 16800 vs -m 2500? Is 16800 for PKMID capture and -m 2500 for full 4-way handshake captures. And can a pcap file that is denoted as 'partial' be cracked?

Thanks and hope to learn a lot here!